One of the most interesting sights in the Delta are the floating markets and associated river life. Cai Rang Floating Market is open all day but it is busiest from sunrise to about 9am. The main items sold there are farm products and specialties of Cai Rang Town, Chau Thanh District and neighboring areas. Every boat has a long upright pole at its bow on which samples of the goods for sale are hung.
During the early morning market hours, larger sized boats anchor and create lanes that smaller boats weave in and out of. The waterway becomes a maze of hundreds of boats packed with mango, bananas, papaya, pineapple, and even smuggled goods like cigarettes. Sellers do not have to cry out about their goods because their goods can be seen in a distance and their cries would not be heard in the vastness of the river and the noise of boat engines. Small boats that sell beer, wine and soft drinks go among the other boats to serve market-goers and visitors. Sellers tie their goods to a tall pole so that buyers can see from a distance what they are selling.
Each boat is loaded with plenty of seasonal goods. Activities at the market are also an occasion for tourists to study the cultural aspects of southerners. You can see the market in the distance, it does not look like much, just a mass of boats. The boats all display their wares on a mast so you can see what they have available.
To visit Cai Rang Floating Market, visitors can join a tour of the Mekong Delta. On the way to Can Tho, visitors can stop to visit My Tho and take a boat trip to visit orchards, bee farms and coconut candy establishments in Ben Tre.
Have you been to the Cai Rang Floating Market? If not yet, let’s take a 30 minute boat ride to the market. You will be actually awake and enjoying it! You wind find it very peaceful floating down the river in the early morning. Then, tell us why you think this market is a great place!
More Vietnam Destinations:
- Ha Long Bay – a magnificent magical destination
- Ninh Binh province – a huge tourism potential
- Perfume Pagoda (Chùa Hương) – “the first ranking Southern grotto”
- Tam Coc-Bich Dong, “South second nicest grotto”
- Lai Chau – a beautiful mountainous land
- Sapa, the fanciful town in fog
- Hoi An Old Town – an ancient Beauty of Vietnam
- Mỹ Sơn Holy land – a masterpiece of Chăm Architecture
- Quang Tri and the Demilitarised Zone
- Vinh Moc Tunnel – a famous Vietnam’s historical relic
- Da Lat – a flowerful town of romance
- Ben Tre – huge potential of ecological tourism in Vietnam
- Coconut palms, the symbol of Ben Tre
- Floating markets – the outstanding in Mekong Delta
- Van Phong Bay, impressive and unforgettable...
- A mysterious, charming lady-like land...
- A tranquil destination for visitors!
- The Mekong Delta in brief
- Beautiful sceneries in the Central Highlands
- Dai Nam Van Hien, Vietnam’s first safari park
- The immense pride of Ninh Binh’s inhabitants
- Enjoy Sa Dec Flower Gardens!
- My Tho fruit market
- Ba Li Stream, a new destination
- Sam Mountain - a place of pilgrimage for the Vietnamese
- Oc-Eo Remains Site
- Ton Thanh Pagoda – the national vestige
- Binh Ta Archaeological Vestiges
- Beautiful birds in Bac Lieu
- Hon Khoai Island, primeval and interesting...